Child Support

When there are children in the marriage being dissolved, child support must be paid. Child support cannot be waived, or agreed to be unpaid by the parents. Child support is awarded to benefit the children not the parents.

The State holds that both parents have a duty to support their children. Both parents must file a financial affidavit which sets out their income from all sources, and debt, including expenses. The parents may come to an agreement as to their child support obligation, using the statutory Child Support Guidelines calculation. This mathematical formula, using the information from the financial affidavits will determine the amount of support that each party should pay.


There may come a time that one or the other parent fails to make their child support payments, or make them in a timely manner. If this occurs, you may seek enforcement through the court. If the court finds that your former spouse or the other parent's non-payment of alimony and/or child support is;

  1.  Willful, and that,
  2. he or she has the ability to pay,

then the court will order him or her to abide by the alimony and/or child support term of your Final Judgment or Marital Settlement Agreement. Such an enforcement action may also result in a contempt order being entered against the non-paying party.


Things change. The amount of child support (and alimony) that was ordered was based upon the financial affidavit that was filed at the time of the divorce action. There may come a time when the financial information contained in the financial affidavit  that was filed during the divorce action changes. If the change is substantial you may wish to seek and upward or downward modification of child support and / or alimony.

The court may modify an amount of child support when;

  1.  in the best interest of the child,
  2. when the child reaches majority,
  3. when there is a substantial change in the circumstances of the parties since entry of the Final Judgment,
  4. when the court requires support beyond the age of 18 years due to dependency,
  5. or when a child is emancipated, marries, joins the armed services, or dies.


It’s important to note that one requirement for modification of a parent's child-support obligation is a showing of substantial change in circumstances, that was not contemplated at the time of final judgment of dissolution. This substantial change in circumstance must be proven to be;

  1. significant,
  2. material,
  3. involuntary, and
  4. permanent in nature.


Call Lisa York, Attorney and Counselor at Law today! Get an appointment to talk to an experienced family law attorney about your child support case.

Lisa York represented me in a criminal case. It was my first time being in trouble, so I really needed some help navigating the legal system and defending myself. Lisa was there for me every step of the way. She was really great about staying in touch with me to keep me updated on my case. I felt very comfortable about having her represent me because she knows many people in the local courts. Transparency in billing is another benefit."

Posted by anonymous on

I would just simply like to state, having never dealt with the legal system ... it was not simple ... Lisa was upfront, honest, kind and warm from the first meeting. I would highly recommend her to anyone that is in need of more than just an attorney."

Posted by Rhonda on

My lawyer Lisa York is the BEST in PENSACOLA, FL!! ... I loved meeting with Mrs. York because she cares and she made a big difference in my life. Mrs. York asked all the right questions and was straight forward with me. A lawyer that keeps you informed about your case and not blowing smoke (100 points). ... Mrs. York was recommended to me from a former client and they spoke very highly of her as well. She lived up to everything they said about her and more. Mrs. York embraces her own in court and ... when it comes to the protection of her client. She made me feel very comfortable. Mrs. York is the lawyer you need to defend you. Thank you!"

Posted by Melanise on

"Walls turned sideways are bridges."

- Angela Davis
Lisa York - Pensacola, FL Attorney

Lisa York is Here to help!

I want my firm to be a place where clients feel that their needs are met, their voices are heard, their questions answered, and their problems dealt with. I want them to know that we’ll take it from here. We want to be the bridge between our client’s legal problems and a solution.

You can contact us over the phone at (850) 474-1115
Or By E-mail: